The purpose of argumentative essays is to provide the audience with explanations regarding one perspective of an argument. This type of paper is very similar to a persuasive essay, seeing as its target is to offer explanations about a particular side of a topic. However, unlike persuasive essays, argumentative essays must not describe the personal beliefs of the essay writer. Your argumentative essay must not entail your viewpoints! In other words, when writing this type of paper, you must solely mention the side of the topic you embrace. Afterwards, you need to explain the reasons for which you support that side.
There are plenty of subjects that a student may approach in an argumentative essay. It is needless to say that you should opt for a subject that you regard as interesting. After you decide on a topic, you need to respond to the query and then substantiate your response with at least three motivations as to why you think like that. For instance, let’s say you choose the first topic from our list. If that is the case, a good idea would be to begin by stating that it’s not right for sports to be coeducational. Later on, you need to provide the audience with three motivations that support your belief.
- Is it right for sports to be coeducational?
- Is it right for educational institutions to sell fast food?
- Should uniforms be mandatory in educational institutions?
- Should bullies be subjected to more decisive disciplinary measures?
- Should preadolescents and adolescents be allowed inside shopping centers without being accompanied by an adult?
- Should students be given less homework?
- At what age should one be allowed to be home alone?
- Is it right to impose a bedtime for children who attend middle school?
- Is summer school designed to help children?
- What modifications would you bring to your school’s lunch selection?
- Should sports be a compulsory school subject?
- Do children spend too much time in front of the TV?
- Is it right to ask children to perform chores?
- Should wearing a seat belt be mandatory while traveling by bus?
- Should children who engage in sporting activities still be required to take sports as a school subject?
- Should kids pay more attention to the food they ingest to avoid future health issues?
- Should children be given more pocket money?
- Should students go to school all year long and get more vacations to enhance the educational process?
- Is children’s behavior influenced by the violence they witness in video games or TV programs?
- Would it be a good idea for your school to launch a school newspaper?
You are to choose any of these subjects as the topic of your argumentative essay. Each of them is devised to pose a question regarding a controversial perspective and stimulating you to demonstrate your point of view. Hence, you would be required to explain your side of the argument. Moreover, each of your body paragraphs should discuss a distinct reason for which you support that side.