You may ask yourself: what topics can put up a good fight? If you are just like me and you’ve spent a while in your English classes, writing essays, then I am sure you have asked this question many times. How do I choose a topic for my argumentative essay? What are the basics of this process?
How to Write Process Essays
A process essay is more like a step-by-step guide, showing readers how to do something. It’s not always a set of instructions, but more like an informative article with key points and basic info.
Essay writers should use simple processes and write in essay formats. Steps should not be numbered, but instead, you could use transitions to link steps.
We all know it’s easier to link each step using ” and after you do this (…) do that”. Don’t do it, it might bore your audience. The process essays are commonly written for companies or people that need tutorials. Whether you’re planning to train your dog to sit or use Etsy to start a small business, process essays use a similar format for any variation. It’s important to keep it short, straight to the point, stay concise, and efficient.
Prepare the Small Stuff
Time is an important element. Your readers won’t have so much time to complete the process you’re explaining. Be specific. Each step carries its own importance, and a deficient explanation can ruin the entire process.
Know your readers and your audience skill level, center the complexity of your content based on your niche. For example, if you need to teach someone how to do a simple fix or make a good first impression, then it would be wise to stick towards more basic terminology.
Make a list of materials with prerequisites and place each item in accordance with its importance. The more impactful a small part is, the higher up on the essay it should be.
You might try a few transitions, just in case you are not sure how to link ideas:
- Lastly, last, finally
- After a few hours, after few minutes, after 24 hours
- Before, before this.
15 Process Essay topics that everyone can relate to
Write a process essay that describes how to:
1. Change a Facebook setting
Everyone needs to find out how to modify a Facebook setting at some point in their lives. This kind of process essay can be easily split into a set of useful directions. You can even find a funny way to teach your readers how to change their settings.
2. Make a great first impression
You don’t have 10 minutes to make a first good impression. The first 7 seconds in which you meet somebody is when you’ll actually get a chance to make a proper first impression. Whether they’re interested in making a good first impression for a job interview or a first date, it’s important to teach them how to dress, act and speak. Choose an individual scenario and go with it.
3. How to travel inexpensively overseas
Traveling overseas is one of the most popular topics since everyone is interested in finding new ways to minimize money exchange costs and go far for less money. If you want to help others complete their missions, you might write about cheap ways to travel overseas.
4. Teach your readers how to text
Granted, most of us know how to write a text, but what about someone older? Maybe their grandmother or their 5 years old brother? Pick your words carefully and try to keep it as simple as possible. Sometimes, technology can be difficult to understand.
5. Train your dog to do tricks
Who says you cannot teach an old dog new tricks? One can find multiple useful ways to train his/her dog. You might as well include some examples of what not to do. This would stop them from making mistakes and help people who haven’t been able to teach their dogs new tricks.
6. Use Social Media to meet new people from the same area
Whether they moved to a new town, entered a new phase of life, started a hobby, or just want to make some new friends, the Internet makes it easy to connect with people who have similar interests.
The essay might give useful info on how to turn your Internet relationships into real word friendships with a meetup.
7. Teach people how to draw
Artistic interest and talent should never go out of trend, no matter how young or old a person may be. When explaining how to draw an image, it’s an excellent idea to provide some sketches to make the process more fun and engaging.
8. Complete a great online dating profile
The most daunting, but important part about online dating is putting together a profile. Your audience might wonder what makes an online profile good. Each user is searching for particular character traits in a partner, so your task in this process essay is to teach readers how to make the most of their online dating profile.
If you’re a sports person, for instance, and you want to find people that share the same passions, it’s probably a good idea to state that in your profile.
9. Shoot a flawless free throw
Knowing the level of your audience is mandatory. Is your audience a group of basketball players who are willing to enhance their technique? Or, is your audience made of people that never played basketball and don’t even know what a free throw is? Your audience will always determine the language you use.
10. Use Etsy to start an online business
With so much great advice around the online business, it’s a bit of a challenge to narrow it down. If you have already started your own Etsy business and you have been successful enough to guide others, then it’s probably a good idea to share your knowledge and experience.
11. How to change your car oil yourself
One of the most critical maintenance duties for cars is changing the oil regularly. You can provide a simple guide that teaches your readers to change their own oil fast and without getting too dirty.
12. How to avoid procrastination.
Even the most disciplined people can procrastinate once in a while. When discussing procrastination, you could teach readers how to prioritize tasks effectively, eliminate distractions, make a plan first thing in the morning, and leverage anxiety.
13. Become a fashionista
Even though it comes naturally to some people, other might need a few tips on how to look like a fashionista. You can come up with new ideas for young girls who aspire to become one if you have the gift of style.
14. How to pay for college
Financial aid can make up the difference since many students are looking for ways to pay for college without student loans. It’s no secret that college may be expensive. Give readers some useful advice if you have been struggling with it. This can include tips about scholarships, choosing the right school, or employer reimbursement programs.
15. How to set up a website.
An easy step-by-step website setup guide is a great way to share your knowledge and ideas with the world. Your readers might be searching for ways to have a professional website up and running as soon as possible.
You can include info on how to setup their hosting and domains, choose the right framework and build one from scratch.
Process Essay Writing Tips and Tricks
- As you finish your topic choice, make sure you pick a process you’ve used many times before. Every process is different. Some can take a couple of hours, while others can take many days and even weeks. The length of the process essay is typically based on the number of steps it takes and difficulty levels.
- If you don’t know a lot about a certain topic, you can see it as an opportunity to learn something new. If you haven’t already mastered the process, it might be a bit difficult to begin. Essays are useful pieces of work, try not to overwhelm your readers with directions. Avoid boring connectors, and make sure you can always relate to what you are writing.
- A process essay either captivates the reader or makes him lose interest. You can use a friendly and funny tone, an engaging text, that will attract your audience.
- Check and double check your process essay. Proofreading is an important part of any type of writing, and essays are no exception.
- Sometimes people confuse process with a narrative. A narrative essay has info that is focused on personal reactions to conflictual situations. Those are expressive, emphasizing the feelings of the persons involved in the conflict. Process essays are expository, explaining how to finish or learn something. The scope of the process essay is that the reader understands the process and its significance.
- Are there any details you have forgotten to mention? If you miss something, your reader will not understand the whole process.
- Use your headline to narrow down your subject and your audience. Usually, you will aim for readers that know less than you do about that subject or someone who is at your same level but doesn’t know the exact information you can teach them.
- Does your content has form and definition? A disconnected essay might confuse readers.
- Make sure you include detailed information if you add more complex sections. For complicated subjects, it’s crucial to explain each part in the simplest forms possible.
- And finally, ask yourself this question: would you like your process essay? If you do not like it, then you need to readjust it until you feel it is your very best work.