What insurance do I need to run a livery yard?

What insurance do I need to run a livery yard?

If you have a commercial livery yard, you need to ensure you are covered for interruption of business due to sickness or other unforeseen circumstances. Furthermore, if you employ staff at your stables, you are required by law to have employers’ liability insurance.

Do you need a Licence to run a livery yard?

What licences does a livery stable need? Livery stables that simply house and care for other people’s horses do not need a licence. But you may need to get a licence if, for example, you offer a working livery arrangement whereby, in return for a reduced livery fee, you: hire out your customers’ horses for hacking.

How much does a livery cost UK?

Grass Livery can be expected to cost around of £20-£25 per week. DIY Stabled Livery can be expected to cost roughly £30-£40 per week. A full livery service can cost up to £100-£150 per week. Any extra care of the horse or tasks carried out by staff at the livery yard costs extra.

Are livery stables VAT exempt?

Broadly, the VAT position for those providing stabling, grazing or livery is as follows: The letting of a stable alone is exempt from VAT, subject to the ‘option to tax’. The supply of ‘keep’ (or care or livery services) including stabling and feed is one standard-rated supply with no apportionment.

What constitutes a livery yard?

A livery yard, livery stable or boarding stable, is a stable where horse owners pay a weekly or monthly fee to keep their horses. Facilities at a livery yard normally include a loose box or stable and access for the horse to graze on grass.

Is horse feed VAT exempt?

Animal feed is zero rated for VAT provided it is not packaged as pet food, therefore hay, cereals and other feeds do not carry VAT if you sell them to outside clients. A farmer or land owner can therefore rent out a paddock or grazing to a horse owner without having to charge VAT.

Is part livery Vatable?

1. If you are providing full or part livery services such as mucking out, feeding, grooming and general care, this will be standard rated for VAT purposes. If you are providing DIY livery services, which is predominately stabling with minimal animal care, this is treated as an exempt supply of land.