How do I ask for donations in lieu of flowers?
Asking for Donations to Charity or Organization
- “The family asks for any donations to go to…”
- “Any financial contributions may be made to the charity of your own choice…”
- “The family wishes memorial contributions be made to…”
- “The family welcomes donations to [charity] as an expression of sympathy instead of flowers…”
What does In lieu of flowers mean in an obituary?
In lieu of flowers means instead of flowers or in place of. When the obituary says, “In Lieu of Flowers,” it will usually have instructions to follow. Example: In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the American Cancer Society.
What is a lieu of flowers?
Have you ever read an obituary that says “In lieu of flowers…”? Essentially, it is the family’s way of politely saying that instead of sending flowers they would rather you express your sympathy in another way – such as a charitable donation in the deceased’s name.
What do I send in lieu of flowers for a funeral?
What to Send to a Funeral Instead of Flowers
- Check for an “in lieu of flower”
- An Unconventional Sympathy card, Handwritten note, or Trinket:
- Photos the Family Doesn’t Have.
- A Self-Care Gift.
- A Dedication or Donation.
- A Memorial Guestbook.
- Vacation Time.
- Something For the Kids.
Should you send flowers if it says in lieu of flowers?
“In lieu of flowers” is a phrase often used to encourage other ways of honoring someone who has passed away, but that doesn’t mean you can’t also send flowers after following the family’s request, as suggested by Emily Post.
Can you still send flowers when it says in lieu of flowers?
You may still send flowers in addition, but if you wish to send only one expression of sympathy, follow the family’s wishes and choose the contribution. …
How much money should you give for condolences?
Amount of money to give One approach is to give as much as you can afford. Don’t go into debt for the month because you gave all your available money to a grieving family. It doesn’t make sense for your family to be shortchanged because you gave away all your available funds.
What do you buy in lieu of flowers?
3 Funeral Gifts Instead of Flowers
- A donation to a charitable organization. The surviving family members may request a donation to a specific organization within the obituary, which makes this act of remembrance a simple and impactful decision.
- Another type of plant.
- A helpful, practical gift.