Who built the Brighton workhouse?

Who built the Brighton workhouse?

George Maynard
The hospital has its origins in the Brighton Workhouse Infirmary which was designed by George Maynard and opened in September 1867. It was extended to create additional wards and pavilions in the 1880s. The building served as the Kitchener Indian Hospital during the First World War.

Where was the workhouse in Brighton?

Brighton Union workhouse on Race Hill, at Elm Grove in Brighton, Sussex, which opened in 1867.

What were many workhouses turned into after 1929?

The Local Government Act of 1929 abolished workhouses and their responsibilities were given to county borough and county councils, however, many workhouses, renamed Public Assistance Institutions (PAIs), remained under the control of local councils and continued to provide care for the poor, elderly and infirm,,.

What was life like in Brighton workhouse?

The workhouse could accommodate up to 35 paupers and included a kitchen, workroom, pantry, brew-house, bedrooms and two cellars. Its inmates included the town’s sick, aged, and impoverished children, who in addition to performing other poorhouse tasks, were expected to make their own clothes and prepare their own food.

Why was Brighton workhouse built?

In 1805 a large group of children from the Brighton Workhouse were dispatched to Lancashire in order to work in the cotton mills there. In 1818 it was decided a new workhouse was needed as the numbers of poor people was increasing alarmingly.

What were the three harshest rules of the workhouse?

What were the three harshest rules of the workhouse?

  • Or who shall make any noise when silence is ordered to be kept.
  • Or shall use obscene or profane language.
  • Or shall by word or deed insult or revile any person.
  • Or shall threaten to strike or to assault any person.
  • Or shall not duly cleanse his person.

Was Brighton General Hospital a workhouse?

Built by George Maynard in 1865-7, the buildings now occupied by the Brighton General Hospital were administered by the Board of Guardians for the Parish of Brighton as a workhouse and infirmary until 1 April 1930 when their responsibilities passed to the public assistance committee of the county borough council.

When did the workhouse in Brighton become a hospital?

In 1914, the workhouse became known as Brighton Poor Law Institution. Between 1915 and 1920 it was taken over by the War Office and operated as the Kitchener Indian Hospital accommodating sick and wounded Indian soldiers. In 1921, it reverted to use as a workhouse until 1930 when it became Brighton Municipal Hospital.

Who was the architect of the Brighton Workhouse?

In 1820, a nine-acre site was purchased for £1,400 at the intersection of Church Hill with a minor road which led over the Devil’s Dyke to join the road to Henfield and Horsham. A further £10,000 was allocated for the new building which was designed, after much competition, by London architect William Mackie.

When was the Elm Grove workhouse in Brighton built?

The foundation stone was laid on 11 May 1865 by Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Moorsom, chairman of the local board of guardians, but the buildings were not finished until June 1867 after considerable delay.

When was the race Hill workhouse in Brighton built?

The foundation stone at the new workhouse on Race Hill at Elm Grove in Brighton was finally laid on 11th April, 1865. Two and a half years later, on 12th September 1867, the building was finished at a cost of £41,000.