Do I need a lawyer for an easement?

Do I need a lawyer for an easement?

Broadly speaking, an easement is a more serious property right; it is the legal right to use someone else’s land for a particular purpose. While you do not need a lawyer to create or grant an easement to your neighbor, it can be a good idea to retain one.

Can you sue for an easement?

When one landowner seeks an Easement over a neighbour’s property if the matter cannot be resolved, the person seeking the Easement can approach the Court, usually the Supreme Court of New South Wales to seek an Easement over the neighbour’s land for a specific purpose for example, to drain water (stormwater easement).

What happens if you breach an easement?

In cases of a breach of an easement, similarly there may be serious consequences if a case goes to court and it finds against you. Even the building of a fence across someone’s right of way could mean you have breached an easement and may be liable to pay compensation for rectification.

What does it mean to have a sewer easement?

An easement is the right of someone to use your property for a specific purpose. In the case of a sewer easement, it means that a sewage authority, wastewater district, or neighboring property owner has the right to access or place sewer lines that run through a property. Easements are negotiated through a sewer easement agreement.

What is an example of an easement agreement?

An easement agreement is a contract that allows the easement holder to use the land of another, in most cases for a specific purpose. Can You Give Us An Example? Yes.

Why do you need an easement to build a house?

On the other hand, undeveloped land that an owner wants to sell for housing development may benefit from an easement, because sewer and water lines would have to be in place for houses to be built. In these cases, the addition of sewer lines would make a property more valuable.

Where can I find an easement on my property?

If there is an easement on your property, it will show if filed with the office that keeps land title records in your county, usually the county clerk or recorder of deeds.