What is hongdae in South Korea?
Hongdae (Korean: 홍대; Hanja: 弘大) is a neighborhood in Seoul, South Korea near Hongik University, after which it is named. It is known for its urban arts and indie music culture, local shops, clubs and entertainment. The area is located in Mapo-gu in the western end of Seoul, stretching from Seogyo-dong to Hapjeong-dong.
What is the best neighborhood in Seoul?
Seoul’s Best Neighborhoods
- Insadong – in the heart of Seoul, close to most major attractions.
- Myeongdong – a hub of modern Korean culture close to Namsan tower.
- Hongdae – a bustling university neighborhood known for its bars and restaurants.
- Gangnam – this iconic area is home to skyscrapers and luxury chain hotels.
What is the poorest neighborhood in Seoul?
Guryong or Guryong Village (Korean: 구룡마을) is an shantytown or slum on private land in Seoul, South Korea, on the edge of the affluent southside district of Dogok-dong, Gangnam District from which it is separated only by a motorway….Guryong Village.
Can foreigners busk in Korea?
Busking is a common sight in Hongdae and other districts frequented by Korean youths, but the practice is not without its side effects. There is no specific legal clause on street performers or busking, making it difficult for authorities to handle complaints from citizens.
What is good in Hongdae?
- Feel the buzz on Hongik University Street.
- Get silly at the Trick Eye Museum Seoul.
- Laugh ’til you cry at Hongdae NANTA Theatre.
- Witness the Seoul street art scene on Hongdae Mural Street.
- Support local artists at Hongdae Free Market.
- Overwhelm yourself with cuteness at Meerkat Café
Where do celebrities hang out in Seoul?
5 Best restaurants in Seoul for Korean celebrity spotting
- Myeongdong Kyoja. Established in 1964, Myeongdong Kyoja has a long history and was initially made famous for their knife cut handmade noodle soup (kalguksu).
- Sanbong Hwarogui Gui.
- Dure Guksu.
- Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong BBQ.
What is the busiest part of Seoul?
One of Seoul’s busiest areas, Gangnam is packed with high end shops, malls, restaurants and cafes. The affluent neighborhood is also home to COEX Mall, the largest underground shopping center in Asia, located in the basement of the Korea World Trade Center.
Are there poor areas in South Korea?
According to official estimates, about 15% of South Koreans live below the poverty line. Poverty in South Korea is defined as relative poverty. About half of all citizens over the age of 65 are living in poverty, one of the highest rates among OECD countries.