What is the structure of skin quizlet?
1) Epidermis- the top layer of the skin. 2) Dermis- the main thick layer of the skin, located beneath the epidermis.
What are the layers of skin quizlet?
Terms in this set (10)
- Epidermis. Outermost layer of the skin.
- Dermis. Middle layer of the skin.
- Hypodermis/ Subcutaneous Layer. Deepest layer of the skin.
- Papillary Layer. Connects the Dermis to the Epidermis via dermal papillae.
- Reticular Layer.
- Stratum Germinativum.
- Stratum Spinosum.
- Stratum Granulosum.
What is structure of epidermis quizlet?
epidermis. the superficial, thinner layer of skin, composed of keratinized stratified squamous epithelium. dermis. a layer of dense irregular connective tissue lying deep to the epidermis. Hypodermis (subcutaneous layer)
What is skin quizlet?
the skin protects the body from injury and bacterial invasion. by stimulating different sensory nerve endings, the skin responds to heat, cold, touch, pressure, and pain. the skin protects the body from the environment.
What are the skin structures?
Skin has three layers: The epidermis, the outermost layer of skin, provides a waterproof barrier and creates our skin tone. The dermis, beneath the epidermis, contains tough connective tissue, hair follicles, and sweat glands. The deeper subcutaneous tissue (hypodermis) is made of fat and connective tissue.
What are the 3 layers of skin quizlet?
Terms in this set (3)
- Epidermis (Epidermal Layer) Outermost layer of skin; also called cuticle or skin scarf.
- Dermis (Dermal Layer) Underlying, or inner layer of skin; also called the derma, corium, cutis or true skin.
- Subcutaneous (Subcutis or subdermis)
What structures are found in the epidermis?
The epidermis of thick skin has five layers: stratum basale, stratum spinosum, stratum granulosum, stratum lucidum, and stratum corneum. The stratum basale is a single layer of cells primarily made of basal cells. A basal cell is a cuboidal-shaped stem cell that is a precursor of the keratinocytes of the epidermis.
What are 5 functions of skin?
Functions of the skin
- Provides a protective barrier against mechanical, thermal and physical injury and hazardous substances.
- Prevents loss of moisture.
- Reduces harmful effects of UV radiation.
- Acts as a sensory organ (touch, detects temperature).
- Helps regulate temperature.
- An immune organ to detect infections etc.
Why is skin essential quizlet?
Skin is a living, functioning organ that plays a key role in maintaining the body’s homeostasis. The skin is a dynamic organ that functions in protection, temperature regulation, sensation, excretion, and absorption in the body.