What are DOT examinations?
UNDERSTANDING DOT PHYSICALs A Department of Transportation (DOT) physical is a health examination mandated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) for commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers. A DOT physical helps determine if a driver is physically, mentally, and emotionally fit to operate a CMV.
How do you do a dot test?
During a DOT Physical, your doctor will test you for at least 20/40 vision for both eyes. If you wear prescription glasses, please be sure to bring them along. You will also be tested to distinguish various colors with and without your prescribed lenses. Another portion of the test includes a hearing test.
How do you pass the DOT medical examiner test?
Tips to pass a DOT Physical
- Bring all necessary documents and paperwork. This includes:
- Be honest when answering questions about your health history.
- Start making healthy choices now.
- Stay away from illegal substances.
- Be diligent about taking your medications.
- Avoid unhealthy habits the day of.
What are the DOT physical requirements?
What the DOT Physical Covers
- Blood pressure/pulse rate.
- Physical Examination.
- Medical Examination Report (MER) Form, MCSA-5875.
- Medical Examiner’s Certificate (MEC), Form MCSA-5876.
- Insulin-treated Diabetes Mellitus Assessment, MCSA-5870.
What is Dot blood pressure requirements?
Your blood pressure must be controlled and be below 140 / 90 at the time of your DOT examination. Also, it is very helpful, if you have a note from your treating physician that states that your condition is being treated and that the treatment has been shown to be effective, safe and your condition is stable.
Is DOT certification hard?
Passing the exam was not easy for me, but apparently it was doable. There are 120 questions, and 2 hours is allotted for answering everything, although only 100 are scored.
Can you fail a DOT physical for high blood pressure?
A DOT medical card is valid for two years if you have no restrictions. A history of high blood pressure, taking high blood pressure medications, a sleep disorder, and taking oral medications for diabetes can restrict the medical card to one year or less, depending on how frequently the condition needs monitoring.
How can I lower my blood pressure for a DOT physical?
DOT Physical Tips: 5 Ways to Lower Blood Pressure
- Drink a lot of water. Drinking water helps flush sodium – which is a known cause of high blood pressure – from the body, and helps to calm the nervous system.
- Eat more potassium.
- Drink beet juice.
- Cut the crap.