What is consolidation by category in Excel?
Consolidate by category: Used when the worksheets have the same row and column labels, but the rows and columns aren’t arranged in the same order on all the worksheets. Excel uses the labels to match the data.
What is consolidate by category?
You consolidate data by category when the source areas do not share the same cell coordinates in their respective worksheets but their data entries do use common row and/or column labels. When you consolidate by category, you include these identifying labels as part of the source areas.
How do you category data in Excel?
- Highlight the rows and/or columns you want sorted.
- Navigate to ‘Data’ along the top and select ‘Sort.
- If sorting by column, select the column you want to order your sheet by.
- If sorting by row, click ‘Options’ and select ‘Sort left to right.
- Choose what you’d like sorted.
- Choose how you’d like to order your sheet.
How do I consolidate lists in Excel?
Click Data>Consolidate (in the Data Tools group). In the Function box, click the summary function that you want Excel to use to consolidate the data. The default function is SUM. Select your data.
How do I consolidate text data in Excel?
Combine data using the CONCAT function
- Select the cell where you want to put the combined data.
- Type =CONCAT(.
- Select the cell you want to combine first. Use commas to separate the cells you are combining and use quotation marks to add spaces, commas, or other text.
- Close the formula with a parenthesis and press Enter.
How do I create a category list in Excel?
Create a drop-down list
- In a new worksheet, type the entries you want to appear in your drop-down list.
- Select the cell in the worksheet where you want the drop-down list.
- Go to the Data tab on the Ribbon, then Data Validation.
- On the Settings tab, in the Allow box, click List.
What is a category in Excel?
Category names Excel uses column or row headings in the worksheet data for category axis names. In the example above, the worksheet row headings 1st Quarter, 2nd Quarter, and so on appear as category axis names. You can change whether Excel uses column or row headings for category axis names or create different names.
How do I consolidate one column in Excel?
How to Combine Columns in Excel
- Click the cell where you want the combined data to go.
- Type =
- Click the first cell you want to combine.
- Type &
- Click the second cell you want to combine.
- Press the Enter key.
How do I consolidate my position?
Consolidation by position: The data in the source areas has the same order, and uses the same labels. Use this method to consolidate data from a series of worksheets, such as departmental budget worksheets that have been created from the same template.