What is an example of an allusion in English?
An allusion is when we hint at something and expect the other person to understand what we are referencing. For example: Chocolate is his Kryptonite. In the this example, the word “kryptonite” alludes to, or hints at, the hero Superman.
What are some examples of allusions?
Common Examples of Allusion in Everyday Speech
- His smile is like kryptonite to me.
- She felt like she had a golden ticket.
- That guy is young, scrappy, and hungry.
- I wish I could just click my heels.
- If I’m not home by midnight, my car might turn into a pumpkin.
- She smiles like a Cheshire cat.
What are the 5 allusions?
Types of allusion
- Historical – An allusion to a historical event or period.
- Mythological – An allusion to a mythological figure or story.
- Literary – An allusion to a literary text or figure.
- Religious – An allusion to a religious text, story, or figure.
What does allusion mean in English class?
1 : an implied or indirect reference especially in literature a poem that makes allusions to classical literature also : the use of such references. 2 : the act of making an indirect reference to something : the act of alluding to something.
What is an allusion sentence?
a statement that refers to something indirectly; an indirect reference. Examples of Allusion in a sentence. 1. The author’s new book contains an allusion to mythological gods. 2.
What is an allusion in text?
Allusions are generally regarded as brief but purposeful references, within a literary text, to a person, place, event, or to another work of literature. An allusion is not a deep meditation, but a passing signal that can sometimes escape notice if you’re not reading carefully.
What does allusion mean in writing?
Allusion, in literature, an implied or indirect reference to a person, event, or thing or to a part of another text.